To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most necessary tales delivered to your inbox on daily basis at Three p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Hey and welcome to Day by day Crunch for July 29, 2021. Between the IPO cycle and earnings it has been fairly the day. And Nikola’s founder was indicted on three counts of fraud. It’s busy! Let’s get into it! — Alex
The TechCrunch Prime 3 (OK, 4, nevertheless it’s about Scarlett Johansson)
- Nikola founder indicted on fraud costs: From the you noticed this coming information, former Nikola CEO and strolling bottle of Mountain Dew Trevor Milton was indicted on three counts of fraud. Per the federal indictment unsealed by the U.S. legal professional’s workplace in Manhattan on Thursday, the previous exec “engaged in a fraudulent scheme to deceive retail buyers.” Not an incredible day for SPACs, frankly.
- Microsoft might put money into lodge unicorn OYO: Right here’s an odd one. Microsoft, the U.S. software program big, might put money into OYO, the India-based inns startup that raised capital from SoftBank’s first Imaginative and prescient Fund. Why? Per our reporting, there could also be some type of cloud deal within the combine. Each events are staying mum for now.
- The Latin American startup market is hitting its stride: On the again of an epic increase in enterprise funding, founders in Latin America are lastly getting their due, buyers instructed TechCrunch. Between regionally sourced capital, exterior funds and economies within the area which can be more and more digitally enabled, it’s a bullish time to construct within the area.
- Scarlett Johansson information swimsuit over Disney+ ‘Black Widow’ launch: The actress alleges Disney breached its settlement together with her when it launched the Marvel flick on streaming service Disney+ on the similar time it landed in theaters. Johansson’s attorneys say Disney is “hiding behind COVID-19,” however with the delta variant being very a lot an issue, we should say we’d choose to watch our Avengers movies from our couches in the meanwhile.
- Tenderly desires extra dApps: Decentralized apps, or dApps, are an enormous class within the bigger blockchain financial system. And Tenderly, a startup that simply raised $15.Three million, desires of us to construct extra of them. The corporate has constructed a “a developer platform for Ethereum devs to observe and take a look at the sensible contracts that energy their decentralized apps.”
- On-line grocery continues to draw capital: This time it’s Merqueo, which operates an on-demand service in Latin America. Between grocery supply and so-called “prompt” grocery startups, plenty of capital is discovering its means into the enterprise of bringing meals to of us’ homes. Merqueo simply raised a $50 million Collection C for its efforts.
- La Haus raises $100M for its on-line actual property market: La Haus is a Colombian startup, as is Merqueo. See, we instructed you that Latin America was busy! On this case, La Haus raised $50 million in fairness capital and $50 million in debt. Per our reporting, the corporate noticed “transactions carried out on its Mexico portal climb by practically 10x within the second quarter of 2021 in comparison with the 2020 second quarter.” Not unhealthy!
- Extra money for psychological well being: Talkiatry introduced earlier in the present day that it has raised a $20 million Collection A led by Left Lane Capital. The startup desires to make psychiatry companies accessible by way of insurance coverage suppliers and has partnered with a bunch of them. Something to make psychological well being care simpler and cheaper for shoppers is sweet by us.
- Hey Divorce raises $2M so your divorce gained’t value $2M: Getting divorced is about as a lot enjoyable as placing damaged glass in your shoe whereas taking a hike. At the very least that’s what our mates have instructed us. Hey Divorce desires to make the entire course of higher. Provided that divorce is one thing that occurs quite usually to plenty of of us, it definitely gained’t lack for TAM.
- Pangea raises $2M for its scholar labor market: Hailing from Windfall, Rhode Island, Pangea introduced a seed spherical in the present day. The corporate’s service connects digitally savvy school college students with companies searching for freelance expertise. GMV is rising on the firm, and now it has extra capital in its accounts than ever. Let’s see the way it grows the remainder of the yr.
- Odoo sells $215M of its inventory: Now price over €2 billion, Odoo, an open-source enterprise administration software program play, is the primary unicorn out of Wallonia, a area in Belgium. The spherical was purely secondary, notably. The corporate supplies most of its software program without spending a dime, whereas charging for sure options.
- Worker-success startup CultureAmp raises $100M: The startup, which was based to let corporations ballot their staff, is now price $150 million. You possibly can consider it as administration analytics, offering “turnover prediction and workforce purpose monitoring,” per our personal reporting.
- In case you had been searching for one thing completely completely different, we current a evaluation of Nothing’s new earpods.
Livestream e-commerce: Why corporations and types must tune in
This yr, livestream viewers in China are projected to spend greater than $60 billion on digital purchasing experiences the place they’ll work together with influencers in actual time.
Selling every part from cosmetics to meals, social media stars use Taobao, TikTok and different platforms to tout merchandise and reply dwell questions.
On Taobao’s Single’s Day International Purchasing Pageant in 2020, livestreams racked up $6 billion in gross sales, twice as a lot income because the yr prior.
Sensing a development, Western startups are getting in on the motion, with corporations like Whatnot and PopShop.Reside elevating rounds to construct out their infrastructure. Wanting ahead, Alanna Gregory, senior international director at Afterpay, says she foresees 4 main developments:
- SaaS streaming instruments.
- Host discovery and outreach instruments.
- Host marketplaces and businesses.
“For manufacturers, SaaS streaming instruments would be the most impactful option to make the most of livestream commerce developments,” Gregory writes in an Additional Crunch visitor publish. “All of this will probably be extremely transformative.”
(Additional Crunch is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You possibly can join right here.)
Large Tech Inc.
We went a bit lengthy on the startup facet of issues, so let’s be transient with regards to Large Tech.
- First up, Amazon’s FireTV Dice now helps Zoom. Every thing ought to assist Zoom. Zoom is sweet. So, it’s each unsurprising and welcome that Amazon is constructing out larger integration with the video chat supplier.
- Subsequent, Fb’s subsequent product will probably be a collab with Ray-Ban to construct sensible glasses. How you’re feeling about this bit of stories will rely on what you consider Fb, however as a former Google Glass fan I suppose I’m prepared to attend to make judgment.
- PayPal has an excellent app within the wings, a service that may embody messaging. Do we wish this? I don’t know, however tremendous apps — cell functions that embody a variety of companies in a single package deal — are large world wide, so why not right here in U.S. as effectively?
TechCrunch Specialists: Progress Advertising
We’re reaching out to startup founders to inform us who they flip to when they need probably the most up-to-date progress advertising practices. Fill out the survey right here.
Learn one of many testimonials we’ve obtained beneath!
Marketer: Scott Graham
Beneficial by: Heather Larrabee, CMO, FORM
Testimonial: “He was referred to us and blew our socks off from his preliminary evaluation. He’s the uncommon progress adviser professional at technique and execution. He’s a servant chief, a methods thinker, integrates with the workforce with empathy and curiosity like he’s an inner teammate, brings a wealth of cutting-edge information, and a steady of unimaginable companions and assets. He runs with the very best and the brightest, however he’s the primary one on and the final one off for the day, placing within the time to make issues nice. He has an uncanny capacity to speak complicated ideas and make them accessible for all audiences, and he’s been a foundational sport changer for our enterprise and plenty of others.”