The ladies’s razor is now not merely meant to generate the “pink tax,” aka the next value for girls’s merchandise simply because they’re made for girls. Slightly, these razors are actually made with ladies’s habits, private preferences and comfort in thoughts. They’re designed to hug curved areas and small spots with out nicking, for instance, and sometimes include perks like built-in cleaning soap to lubricate pores and skin.
We examined 15 top-rated razors — from supersharp, single-blade security razors to conventional five-blade variations — on CNN Underscored’s seek for the perfect razor for clean legs, underarms, bikini traces and past. Whether or not you’re diligently shaving year-round or solely whipping out a razor as soon as summer time rolls round, after greater than a month of shaving (and nicking), we selected three standout razors:
Finest ladies’s razor total
One other good razor for girls
The Flamingo Razor has a extra substantial, weightier deal with with a rubber grip to make it straightforward to carry, and its cartridge is made to be versatile so you possibly can shave backward, sideways and the other way up with ease. It delivers an in depth shave, too, although not fairly to the extent of Billie.
Finest luxurious ladies’s razor
Billie The Razor Starter Package
Allow us to depend the methods we beloved the Billie razor. Significantly. We’ll start with the best way it appears. We recognize kind as a lot as perform, and Billie simply makes a fairly razor, with a cool, color-blocked design and a curved cartridge. The blade cartridge additionally encompasses a charcoal cleaning soap, which permits it to glide throughout the pores and skin, however doesn’t get slimy like some built-in soaps and moisturizing serums that we examined.
The blades had been tremendous sharp out of the field and eliminated hairs in a single swipe with out having to repeat to catch stubble. We didn’t must rinse hair out of the blades each two or three swipes, and there was zero irritation, even after we utilized antiperspirant straight after shaving underarms with the Billie razor.
The razor itself can also be snug to make use of — the deal with has a rubber backing to supply a agency however snug grip, so there’s no slipping.
An amazing perk: The razor comes with a “magic holder,” which is a small, magnetic base that sticks to the bathe wall by way of a putty that adheres irrespective of how steamy it will get. You additionally get an additional cartridge, making the starter equipment a wonderful worth at $9.
The Flamingo Razor is extra of a minimalist than Billie by way of design, however it additionally has options that set it aside from the pack. The razor cartridge is longer within the entrance than its friends, with rounded edges on the edges, which provides it the power to flatten pores and skin as you glide the razor over, subsequently making hair elimination simpler. We discovered it provided extra management when shaving than different razors, particularly those who solely had blades and little else on the cartridge.
The cartridge has a built-in hinge, giving the deal with a few 90-degree vary of movement. That made it extremely straightforward to shave in several instructions on each underarms and legs, and it minimized the quantity of twisting and contortion often required to shave each final spot. Additionally, the deal with has a nonslip end and ridges on the underside, which make it particularly straightforward to grip.
Whereas the razor itself doesn’t include a holder, should you spring for The Shave Set ($16, shopflamingo.com), you’ll get a mini shave gel, physique lotion and a bathe hook, which suctions onto the wall. It stayed put even after eradicating and resticking it a number of occasions.
Oui the Folks the Single Rose Gold Security Razor
You’ve received handy it to this razor, which did nick our tester a few occasions, however was nonetheless so good that we’ll simply name it a studying curve. For those who’ve by no means used a security razor earlier than, welcome to the membership. Assembling the protection razor took a couple of minutes however was in any other case straightforward — simply unscrew the deal with, place the razor blade on the top after which reattach the deal with
We particularly appreciated the thorough sources out there on Oui the Folks’s web site that stroll first-timers by means of the method, from unpacking the supplies to rinsing off the shave cream. Oui the Folks’s razor comes with 10 individually wrapped blades, saved in a bit of field that has a slot to soundly insert your used blades. However we had been upset that there wasn’t a storage choice so it could possibly be saved prettily (and safely) within the bathe.
As skilled followers might already know, security razors require a novel method: The weighted head does a lot of the be just right for you, so that you don’t want to use stress. A light-weight contact was sufficient to comfortably grasp the textured steel deal with, which by no means felt slick. Nonetheless, previous habits die exhausting, and our tester wound up with two nicks, one on the knee and the opposite on the again of the decrease calf. It’s a completely totally different type of shaving — suppose brief, mild strokes over small areas — and might take time to regulate. However it might be value studying: It delivered the closest shave we’ve ever seen, even taking down one cussed hair that was about to show into an ingrown state of affairs. It didn’t trigger any razor burn in anyway, and the razor itself is a stunner. You probably have time and endurance, it’s as near an ideal shave as you will get.
We spent two months shaving and swiping with these razors, testing every a minimum of 3 times. We used them on totally different areas of the physique so as to account for all of the methods you would possibly use them. As we evaluated them, we took each side of the shaving expertise into consideration, from how the razor appears within the bathe to how shut the shave was.
We didn’t take a look at for greatest electrical razors for girls, nor the perfect face razor for girls — as a substitute retaining the testing pool to basic razors.
We designed a rubric to grade these varied components, which we broke down into perform, construct, sturdiness and X-factors, comparable to the worth:
- Closeness of shave: We checked for stubble left behind, or whether or not we needed to go over a spot a number of occasions to get it completely clean.
- Pores and skin irritation: Was the razor too abrasive? Redness and stinging had been two indicators we regarded for, each instantly after shaving and throughout the first hour afterward.
- Hair clogging: We regarded to see whether or not the hair clogged the blades too regularly, requiring fixed rinsing. The clogging may intrude with the closeness and thoroughness of the shave.
- Efficiency options: We factored in options that aren’t requirements, however good to have all the identical, like particular contouring of the cartridge, moisture strips or built-in cleaning soap, or any bodily parts that made shaving simpler.
- Consolation: Was the deal with snug to carry, significantly when shaving in several instructions for areas just like the underarms and the bikini line?
- Grip: Nobody desires to drop a razor midshave, which is why we regarded for supplies that made the deal with straightforward to grip and minimized slipperiness.
- Aesthetic: Is it fairly? For those who (and anybody with entry to your bathe or tub) have to take a look at it each day, it would as effectively be cute.
- On a regular basis put on: A razor might sound nice the primary time you utilize it, however we checked out whether or not it might get dirty or dingy after a number of weeks within the bathe. That was particularly vital for razors that had built-in cleaning soap.
- Indicators of injury: We dropped the razors within the bathe a number of occasions and stepped on them to see how effectively your complete razor held up below stress — whether or not the cartridge fell off, the deal with snapped, or it simply didn’t carry out as effectively. We additionally let the razors languish for per week in a glass of water to see if the blades would rust.
- Worth: The extra cartridges included with the razor, the upper our rating. We like razors that provided an amazing worth for the value.
- Storage choices: We don’t love razors that sit on the sting of the bathtub and get caught there, so we regarded for straightforward storage choices that allowed razors to air dry with out getting dirty, be it a plastic clamshell or a magnetic bathe holder.
Utilizing the testing strategies above, we gave every razor a rating in every subcategory, then mixed these numbers for a most rating in every class, then totaled these numbers for a closing total rating. We broke down the scores as follows:
- Perform had a most of 50 factors: closeness of the shave (15), pores and skin irritation (15), whether or not the blades received clogged (10), particular options like swivel head, contouring, moisture strip (10).
- Construct had a most of 20 factors: consolation throughout use (10), deal with slipperiness (5), the way it appears (5).
- Sturdiness had a most of 20 factors: on a regular basis use (5), indicators of injury (15).
- X-factors had a most of 10 factors: worth (5), storage options (5).
Athena Membership The Razor Package ($9; athenaclub.com)
With this subscription providing, we had been big followers of the marginally thicker deal with and compact, rounded cartridge, which made it a simple match for small areas like underarms. However the cartridge fell off a number of occasions when dropped, and we’d have most popular a number of ridges on the deal with for a bit of extra management.
Schick Silk Contact-Up Face Razor ($6.65 for 3; amazon.com)
If there have been a face-only class, this could be a transparent winner. It dispatched upper-lip hair in a minute, is simple to make use of and, because it is available in a set of three, is nice worth.
Gillette Venus Swirl Flexiball Razor ($11.34; amazon.com)
This was our favourite of all of the Gillette Venus varieties, because it delivered a really shut shave. Nonetheless, there was no storage choice included, and the rollerball didn’t appear so as to add a lot by way of versatility and maneuvering.
Solimo 5 Blade Razor for Girls ($18.87; amazon.com)
With a whopping 12 cartridges and a bathe holder, this razor provided the perfect worth of the bunch. We seen a bit of post-shave stubble and delicate irritation after shaving, which is the place it misplaced factors, however in any other case discovered it snug to make use of, because of its rubbery grip.
Schick Hydro Silk TrimStyle Razor ($12.58; amazon.com)
We beloved the flexibility of a razor-trimmer hybrid, and the truth that it included the battery was very a lot appreciated. The one disadvantage was that the thicker deal with (to accommodate the trimmer) wasn’t as snug to carry, and the razor didn’t give an excellent shut shave.
Gillette Venus Further Clean Delicate Razor ($12.99; amazon.com)
We appreciated that this, as meant, was mild sufficient for delicate pores and skin and didn’t trigger any irritation in anyway. Plus, it’s just about indestructible and holds up effectively with on a regular basis use. Nonetheless, the blades didn’t ship as shut a shave as we needed.
Pleasure Razor ($10; joyandglee.com)
Out there individually or as a subscription, this gave us one of many closest shaves of all of the razors we examined, and it holds up very effectively with on a regular basis use. However we additionally seen some irritation and didn’t love the look of it within the bathe.
Gillette Venus Clean Razor Unique ($7.72 for razor and two refills; amazon.com)
We seen a bit of irritation on the underarms after shaving with this one, and needed to repeat swipes to get each hair. Nonetheless, we’re followers of the comparatively small, curved cartridge, which made it straightforward to maneuver round contours, in addition to the grippy deal with.
Gillette Venus ComfortGlide White Tea Mini ($14.70; amazon.com)
The built-in cleaning soap bars are very handy — no shave gel wanted right here — however we discovered that they received a bit of dingy after the primary use. Nonetheless, we appreciated the a number of cartridges and simple clamshell storage. A stable alternative for touring.
Gillette Venus Snap Further Clean Razor ($6.49; amazon.com)
This mini razor and case are handy sufficient for journey, however we discovered the brief, spherical deal with exhausting to grip, and fewer snug to make use of than typical lengthy handles. Nonetheless, it did ship a reasonably shut shave and are available a packing-friendly case.
Schick Instinct Delicate Care Razor ($9.99; amazon.com)
Having a built-in shave cleaning soap is definitely environment friendly, however it additionally makes your complete design a bit of clunky. We discovered this to be a bit too giant for underarms, so it was most helpful for shaving giant areas, just like the legs.
Maapilim Security Razor ($52; maapilim.com)
This security razor scored factors for an in depth shave and aesthetics, however we had been upset that it didn’t include both razor blades or any directions, even on the web site. It may be greatest for skilled safety-razor followers solely.